fredag den 2. november 2012

27-28 October 2012 - The Frontline


Awesome weekend at The Frontline CF competition in CF Malmø.

Team Bacon and Veins (Nicolai Mainz and myself) competed in the Men's Elite division up against some of the best CF'ers in Scandinavia (several of whom were previous Regionals and Games competitors).

We were not expecting too much seing as the 20 teams in our division were so strong, so what ended up happening was a good surprise and an amazing experience. Except for dislocating my shoulder in WOD5 and thus losing our position to go into the final at that point.


Here's what went down:

Saturday

#EVENT 1
5 ROUNDS:
5 Box jump 70/60/50 cm
7 H.P. Clean 70/60/50/40 kg
9 Thrusters 50/40/35/30 kg

*Athlete 1 starts and Athlete 2 cannot advance until Athlete 1 has completed all reps at a given station*

-Score: 09:12 min.

We got 6th which was awesome, even beat the strongest team from Butcher's (DYK&PLØK). My biggest challenge was definitely the thrusters that I had to break up from round 2.

#EVENT 2
Chipper:
800 m run (both athletes run)
60 CTB
20 ground to overhead anyhow, 80 kg
400m buddy carry
30 KB snatch, 32 kg
30 OHS, 60 kg
200 D.U (with crappy, heavy jump rope)
*1 Athlete working / 1 Athlete resting*

-Score: 18:07 min.

We got 7th which meant that we kept our 6th place. I had no problem with the run, just followed the front man without gassing myself. C2Bs were all butterfly and we owned them. Did single powerclean push-jerk for the 20 G2OH, and lost a little ground to the stronger guys here who were able to rep at this weight. Got on the buddy carry in the middle of the pack and moved into 2nd by f***ing owning that too. I carried Mainz most of the way and especially on the last 30 meters that had an incline was good for us as we did not pause to change. KB snatches were heavy and Nico did 10 of them while I changed to WL shoes. OHS were heavy too and we lost some ground here to the heavy guys. I had some trouble keeping my balance snatching the weight at high heart rate and fatigue but the final 5-6 reps were actually very solid. The DUs went well and we made some grund here.

#EVENT 3
Ladder, on the 1:30 min do:
First 5 rounds each athlete does 1 Clean and they do 16 burpee in total  
Last 6 rounds each athlete does 1 F. Squat and they do 16 Burpees in total

The team cannot do the f-squat ladder without having finished all the cleans.

Clean ladder: 80/90/100/105/110
F.S ladder: 115/120/125/130/135/140

-Score: 247,900 kg = 120 kg f-squat for me + 125 kg f-squat for Mainz + 29 burpees after him missing 130 kg.

We got 7th (prette f***ing cool) and maintained our 6th spot. Powercleaned all the way without a problem. Front squatting 120 kg was a PR for me and in this setting I a very happy about the result.

Sunday

#EVENT 4
3 ROUNDS:
24 Toes through Rings
18 Pistol
12 Squat Snatch, 60 kg
10 Muscle up
*1 athlete working/1 athlete resting*

-Score: 15:05 min.

We got 9th and again held on to our6th place. The MUs got us and we made a couple of strategic mistakes. TTR were easy. Pistols were a challenge for my right leg with the stiff ancle, but we were allowed to take the heel of the ground so that definitely helped. Squat snatches were brutal!! But I actually got them dialed in very well in rounds 2 and 3 so Mainz could focus more on MUs in which he is stronger then me. Coming to the MUs... the rings were very high up and to get my false grip I had to jump up, pull into the false grip, lower down and externally rotate the hands and THEN do my semi strict MU. Did 4 in a row on round 1 and was very surprised about this. Mainz also did 4s but withpout false grip and with a nice kip. As we moved on I lost my ability to do them simply because I did not have the strength to pull myself into the false grip, then back down and then up into an MU. Our mistakes (that lost us one or two placed in the WOD): 1) I should have stepped onto Mainz' back to get my false grip, and 2) Mainz should have changed to false grip and to doing 1s by the end where we needed just 1 rep that took something like 30 seconds to get.

#EVENT 5.1 + 5.2 The vent of my demise!!
In 10 min:
5.1: 0-6 min.: Find 1 rep max Jerk from rack
5.2: 6-10 min.: Max reps rope climb (3-4 meter)

-Score:
5.1: 215 kg. (100 kg (me) + 115 kg. (Mainz))
5.2: 10 rope climbs

I was so fired up for this event because I knew that it was in our wheel house. My rope climbs are solid as fuck and my jerk from behind the neck is too (I made 125 kg two months ago and 115 from front). I was expecting to get 130 from the back position. During warmup I did 110 with a snatch grip without any problem. When The event started I was so intensely focusen on getting the 130 that I did not really see the forst couple of lifts as a challenge. Made 100 easy, so did Mainz. When I jerked the 110 it started moving backwards on me and I though 'wtf, I am not dropping such a light weight' and held on to it to try to save it. Result was that the bar continued backwards and as I held on it pulled my shoulder out of the socket...

I immediately went to see the medics and a skilled physio put it back in place within 3-4 minutes but obviously I was out of the competition. And also out of overhead training and upper body strength training for 1-2 months. But that's life, you live and you learn. Hopefully it will recover properly and I will overcome the mental barrier of heavy overhead work at some point to be ready for Open in February.

We got the last place in this WOD and thus went to a 9th place and did not make the cut for the next event, but then again I was out, so we could not have competed anyway.

Mainz' did some calulating on the scores and found out that if we had done as expected in event 5 we would very likely have reached the final in 5th place. BITTER!!

Key learnings:
- I am on the road to my goal of getting in the top 100 in our region.
- My competition experience is getting a lot better, and I have a good work, rest, warmup, nutrition routine.
- Never try to save an overhead lift that is going wrong, just drop the bar!

Key areas of focus:
- Thrusters (front rack bottom position + front squat strength)
- MUs
- Strengthening of shoulder joints when right arm is back in business
- Squat strenght - IT IS TIME TO BULK and do some POWERLIFTING





Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar